Donald F. Leistman
Co-Chair, Tax Certiorari
Donald F. Leistman
Donald F. Leistman is a Partner at Forchelli Deegan Terrana LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Condemnation practice group and co-chairs its Tax Certiorari practice group.
Mr. Leistman’s practice focuses exclusively on real estate tax assessment and eminent domain litigation throughout New York State. He has over 40 years’ experience in handling all property types, including office, retail, multi-family residential, nursing home, senior assisted living, industrial, movie theater, bowling alley, golf and country club, hotel, etc., through conclusion by trial and appellate level. Mr. Leistman also provides property tax estimates for proposed commercial and residential projects, and provides advice as to tax incentive and abatement programs.
Mr. Leistman has served as Chairman of the Nassau County Bar Association’s Committee on Tax Certiorari and Eminent Domain. He is the New York State representative of the American Property Tax Counsel, a national organization of property tax attorneys. Mr. Leistman also serves as an executive board member of the Association for a Better Long Island.
Mr. Leistman has achieved a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating – the highest professional peer rating.
- Hofstra University (J.D. 1981)
- Hofstra University (B.A. 1978)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- Nassau County Bar Association Committee on Tax Certiorari and Condemnation
- Vice Chairman (1991-1993, 2010-2012)
- Chairman (1993-1995, 2012-present)
- Nassau County Bar Association (Real Property Committee)
- Suffolk County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association (Real Property Section)
- Co-Chair Committee on Eminent Domain and Tax Certiorari (2007-2011)
- American Property Tax Counsel
- Executive Board Member, Association for a Better Long Island
- Director, Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Long Island
- Member, Institute of Property Taxation
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Board Member, Louis Acompora Memorial Foundation
- Member, Nassau County Executive Assessment Reform Team (2010)
- Nassau County Bar Association: “Valuation of Contaminated Properties in Tax Certiorari and Condemnation Proceedings,” May 2013
- Nassau County Bar Association “Legal Issues In Valuation of Cooperatives and Condominiums,” May 2006
- Real Estate Practitioner’s Institute of Long Island: “Tax Incentives for Economic Development,” March 2005