Phone: (516) 248-1700
Fax: (516) 248-1729
Gerard R. Luckman is a partner in the Bankruptcy & Corporate Restructuring practice group. Jerry’s pragmatic approach and experience has led him to represent virtually every type of client in a financial workout or chapter 11 bankruptcy case—including clients involved in distressed debt transactions, asset acquisitions, and asset sales outside of bankruptcy; as well as debtors, creditors’ committees, equity holders, landlords, and secured and unsecured creditors in chapter 11 proceedings. He is widely regarded as a leading practitioner in the field of corporate restructuring. With businesses filing for chapter 11, Jerry can take the client from the initial filing of the bankruptcy petition, through the management of the case, and ultimately confirm a plan of reorganization or liquidation. In representing clients in a work out, Jerry’s hands-on approach assists the client in negotiating and executing the restructuring of their financial obligations while avoiding the uncertainty associated with a chapter 11 filing.
Jerry has been awarded an “AV” legal ability and ethics rating by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory — the highest rating this nationally recognized publication has established. He has also been named to New York Super Lawyers lists (Bankruptcy).
Prior to and during law school, Jerry worked as a financial manager at two major corporations; experiences that help shape Jerry’s practical approach to practicing law. While in law school Jerry served as the Editor-in-Chief of the inaugural issue of the American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review, which was later republished as Single Asset Real Estate Bankruptcies Current Developments and Legislative Issues by the Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law of the American Bar Association.
- Bankruptcy & Corporate Restructuring
- St. John’s University School of Law, 1993
- New York Institute of Technology, B.S., 1981, cum laude
- New York State Bar
- United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of New York
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Nassau County Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association (Board of Directors and Former President of the Long Island Chapter)
- St. John’s University School of Law Alumni Association (Board of Directors)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Accountant/Attorney Networking Group (AANG)
- Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) – Long Island Chapter